Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fashion Wisdom

I'm so happy that scarves are back in style again.  When I was in high-school in the 80's, they were not.  We had a student visiting from Germany back then, and she was never without a scarf in winter.  We used to joke about how she wouldn't leave the house without one. 

Much later, I began to realize there was something to that scarf thing.  I think its always good to pay attention to traditional wisdom that spans different cultures.  The ancient Chinese believed that illness could enter your body through points in the neck.  Keeping these points covered can protect you from "wind" that enters your body bringing such things as the common cold.  In fact, I have found that if I wrap up in a scarf at the first sign of a sore throat, I can often avert a cold.

So even though the sun is out, it is still winter, and a scarf still looks good while it protects you. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the analogy between scarf wisdom and ancient wisdom that may get lost over time.

    ReplyDelete